- Tested on an Athlon X2 dual-1.9Ghz machine running Ubuntu 8.10
- I uninstalled all existing 'vlc' components (which were v0.9.4) through Synaptic
- I also had to delete the ~/.config/VLC configuration files
- Per the instructions on the Videolan.org site I added their "Intrepid/Nightly" repository to Synaptic,
- I installed the latest version, v1.0.0~git20081127-4 (according to Synaptic)
- I then disabled the Videolan repository since this copy seems to be working!
- Finally, I disabled the FFmpeg "h.264 Loop Filter" in VLC
(which improves playback speed but at the cost of some picture quality)
P.S. I'm being very specific about uninstalling all the original 0.9.4 modules, as well as deleting the hidden config folder, because both of those elements caused errors otherwise!